Flood Insurance For When Mother Nature Strikes Near Schaumburg, IL

Protect Your Home and Belongings Against More Than Water Damage

flooded kitchen that's properly insured

Don’t Get Caught Without Flood Insurance

Most mortgage policies require you to have flood insurance if you live in a flood zone near Schaumburg, IL. Natural disasters are occurring at a greater frequency than they once did. Make sure you are properly insured so if a flood strikes, your appliances, flooring, cabinets, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC units are covered.

It’s important that when you are comparing flood insurance coverage, take a look at the structure and personal property, because they may have different limits and deductibles. Don’t worry if this seems overwhelming, a Compass agent can help you through the entire process from gathering quotes to choosing the right one for you.

Flood Damage or Water Damage?

Flood insurance covers your home’s structure and your personal property from damage caused by flooding. Flood damage may differ from regular water damage. At Compass Insurance Agency in Schaumburg, we make sure that you know the difference between water damage covered on your homeowner’s insurance plan and water damage covered on your flood insurance policy.

Insurance to cover floods must be written 30 days in advance in the state of Illinois. Don’t be caught dead in the water! Have our independent insurance agents shop and compare 20 quotes for you today because tomorrow may be too late. Remember, we only work for you, not the insurance companies.

flooded bedroom not insured

Start Your Flood Insurance Quote for Your Schaumburg, Illinois Property

Letting Compass do all the legwork can save property owners on average $796 annually on their flood insurance with better coverage and customer service when you bundle policies.

Flood Insurance FAQs

What does an insurer consider a flood?

The National Flood Insurance Program defines a flood as a general or temporary condition where two or more acres or two or more properties of normally dry land are covered by water or mudflow.

My current insurance policy protects against water damage. Why would I need extra flood insurance coverage?

Because water damage and flood damage are two different issues. Water damage is the result of heavy rainstorms or hailstorms that soak through your roof and seep into walls and ceilings, as well as damage from a water pipe bursting or a toilet overflowing. None of these are floods, water arising from a natural source onto land where it otherwise doesn’t exist.

How do I know if I’m in a flood area?

Consult the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Map Service Center to locate your area’s flood map.

What does my flood zone mean?

Moderate- to low-risk areas are designated with the letters B, C, or X. High-risk flood areas are designated with the letters A or V.

Do I need flood insurance if I’m in a low- or moderate-risk area?

According to FEMA, one of every three insurance claims come from low- to-moderate risk flood areas.

I’ve heard that you can’t get flood insurance if you are in a high-risk area. Is that true?

No. If your community participates in NFIP, you can buy federal flood insurance.

So if I’m not in a flood zone I don’t need flood insurance?

Just because you aren’t in a flood zone, or in a low- or moderate-risk zone, doesn’t mean you’ll never get flooded. Climate is changing, and flood zones are changing as well. Flood risks change over time.

Maybe I can wait until my flood zone changes, or the weather forecast contains possible flooding conditions?

It may be difficult for an insurer to write a policy that quickly, or provide coverage just as impending flood conditions are occurring. Remember the adage, he who hesitates is lost.

What does flood insurance cover?

Flood insurance covers any damages to your home and property as well as damages to the possessions inside your home. This includes damage to appliances, carpet and flooring, cabinetry, electrical and plumbing, heating and air conditioning units. Note that flood insurance for the structure of your home and personal property are separate coverages, each with separate limits and deductibles.

What doesn’t flood insurance cover?

Following NFIP guidelines, flood insurance doesn’t cover such issues as damages to:

  • Retaining walls and decks
  • Swimming pools
  • Currency or valuable papers

In addition, damage caused by the movement of earth during a flood, as well as living expenses following a flood, are frequently not covered. What is or is not covered by flood insurance varies by policy contract. Read your policy carefully and consult your Compass Insurance agent to be sure of exactly what is covered by your flood insurance.

What about my basement?

There is limited flood insurance coverage for basement damage. Carpeting and walls are not covered, nor is personal property kept in the basement. However, most policies cover flood damage to basement water heaters, furnaces, washers, and dryers.

Can renters obtain flood insurance?

Yes, but for personal property only.

How can I know for sure what my flood insurance covers?

Read your policy carefully. Better yet, consult with your Compass Insurance agent.

The Top Insurance Companies We Work With

AAA Independent Insurance Agent logo
Nationwide Insurance
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Travelers Insurance
Citizens Insurance
Grange Insurance